Since some of last Monday’s flowers still look great – or even better – a week later, I decided to re-use them for this week’s version of Cathy’s fun meme “In a vase on Monday”. The survivors of the ice cream-vase are: Zinnias “Queen Red Lime” and “Green Envy”, Daucus “Dara” and Scabiosa “Salmon Queen”. Five or six years ago I’d never guessed that one day I would grow any other Zinnia besides “Green Envy”. I felt about them as I still do about red container pelargoniums or blue hydrangeas: vulgar and loud. Maybe it’s because I grew up in the 80s, when all of them appeared in shrill colours and looked like tacky plastic flowers in an Imbiss/Chip Shop/Fast Food Place. (Totally Off Topic – If anybody else was in primary school in the 80s and is currently suffering from a summer flu or in need of a warm-hearted escape from the last few days’ depressing news storm: watch “Stranger Things” on Netflix)
Back to the vase. “Queen Red Lime” differs very much from the Zinnias of yore: From the same bag of seeds I have so far grown pale antique pink ones, green ones with a strong pink centre and a few truly mixed ones, like the ones you find when you google the variety. Some of them do continuously change colour when they age. This one has now turned into cinnamon with some strong peachy undertones. The subtlety of the flower is sooo far away from the ones I remember and even disliked throughout my “Crystal Barbie”-phase. And in those days I could not get enough of hot pink and neon colours! The scabious has meanwhile changed from light salmon to pure pale pink. Dara – new for me this year – turned out to be the biggest surprise: Its burgundy deepened over the week. The other components are mostly younger versions of last week’s (“Cinderella” stocks and the gorgeous rich pink “Kermesina” baby’s breath), plus a mysterious feverfew/tanacetum (its grandmother was yellow-leaved and showed flat, more daisy-like blossoms) and the always beautiful florist dill “Mariska”.
This picture was the only one I managed to take for showing the colour palette in “real light”, on the balcony in the afternoon. As you can see, the yellow of tanacetum and dill is much clearer and less “chartreusey” when illuminated by daylight or bright lamp light.
The only other vase I put together today also features some candidates from last week: Eleagnus branches I picked up from the Panke river. (Thanks again Cathy for ID-ing it for me). The star-shaped blossoms are a Delphinium grandiflorum I raised from seed this spring. It’s supposed to be “Blue Butterfly” but looks much more purplish lilac than the pictures I’ve seen online. And I can’t recall if I have ever seen it in real life. Whatever it is, I like it a lot (as do the bumblebees) and will definitely collect seed from the unexpected bi-coloured beauty.
The other blossoms: More “Blue Wonders” (all my other Sweet Peas are still lagging behind) and the first Nigella from a “Persian Jewels” mix. Which turned out to be very small and not what I expected, colourwise – white with blue tips.
That’s it for this Monday. I will probably not be able to join next week, since the admin of this house has scheduled a painter to re-do all our window frames on Monday and Tuesday, which not only means that I have to dismantle/rearrange half of the balcony, but also everything currently standing on the ledge in front of my kitchen. Grrrrr! Oh well. It will take only two days (in working hours time) and will not cost me a cent. But since my little 5th floor cottage garden grows in all directions by now, cutting needs to be done and insect houses to be moved, which I seriously dislike.
Anyways: I wish everyone a great week of high summer!